Banka BioLoo has developed the bio-toilets in collaboration with the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO).
Understanding the Basics of Bio-toilets
A Bio-toilet is a complete end-to-end solution, consisting of a bio-digester tank attached to a toilet seat with prefabricated shelter above the ground. Bio-toilets are constructed using bio-digester technology.
The main constituents of a bio-toilet include a prefabricated shelter above the ground and a bio-digester tank. The bio-digester tank is a cylindrical or cubical structure with the provision of an inlet for human waste and outlet for water and a small vent for biogas. A person can use the toilet which is connected to the bio-digester.
On a dry weight basis, 90% of the solid waste is reduced. The biogas produced in very minor quantities is continuously let off into the atmosphere or used for various energy-intensive activities such as cooking, heating, etc if generated in sufficient volumes.
Disposes of human waste in a 100% eco-friendly manner.
• Generates colorless, odorless inflammable biogas.
• Generates odorless, recycled water rich in nutrients suitable for gardening.
• Does not require a septic tank or external sewage treatment infrastructure.
• Suitable for all conditions. Can be deployed almost everywhere.
• 100% maintenance-free.
• Inoculum charging is required only once, during the lifetime of the bio-toilet.
• Routine cleaning do not harm the bio-toilet or the inoculum.
• Economically viable with no dependence on costly conventional energy sources.
• Easy to install, maintain and can be operationalized in 12 hours.
Distinctive advantages of bio-toilets
Which bacteria is used in Bio-Toilets?
Banka BioLoo develops Bio-Toilets in collaboration with the Defence Research and Development Organisation(DRDO). DRDO bio-digester technology uses Psychrophile, a type of anaerobic bacteria. With a ability to survive in cold temperatures (up to -55 degree Celsius), this bacterium is used extensively in the technology. This bacterium helps in degrading human faecal waste in an eco-friendly manner. It breaks down 90% of the solid human waste to release water and bio-gas, which is 50-70% methane.
What is the life span of a bio-toilet?
A Bio-Toilet made by Banka BioLoo is easy to install, and needs very less maintenance. The average life span of a bio-toilet can be up to 35 years.
What all you will need for a bio-toilet project?
• The physical space you will need for installing a bio-toilet.
• The number people who will use the bio-toilet every day.
• The water supply needed for the bio-toilet.
• The professional installation and civil work to be done.
• They type of bio-toilet configuration that will suit your purpose.