Bio-toilets are constructed using bio-digester technology. The main constituents of a bio-toilet include a prefabricated shelter above the ground and a bio-digester tank. The bio-digester tank is a cylindrical or cubical structure with the provision of an inlet for human waste and outlet for water and a small vent for biogas. A person can use the toilet which is connected to the bio-digester. On a dry weight basis, 90% of the solid waste is reduced. The biogas produced in very minor quantities is continuously let off into the atmosphere or used for various energy-intensive activities such as cooking, heating, etc if generated in sufficient volumes.
Distinctive advantages of bio-toilets
- Disposes of human waste in a 100% eco-friendly manner.
- Generates colorless, odorless inflammable biogas.
- Generates odorless, recycled water rich in nutrients suitable for gardening.
- Does not require a septic tank or external sewage treatment infrastructure.
- Suitable for all conditions. Can be deployed almost everywhere.
- 100% maintenance-free.
- Inoculum charging is required only once, during the lifetime of the bio-toilet.
- Routine cleaning do not harm the bio-toilet or the inoculum.
- Economically viable with no dependence on costly conventional energy sources.
- Easy to install, maintain and can be operationalized in 12 hours.